Finance for Non-Financial Managers
with Debra Adams
04.03.2020 & 05.03.2020
Structured professional development is the key to upskilling your workforce to meet the challenges ahead. Financial skills training is an essential component of the competences required to operate successfully with business controls and profitable growth.
Dress Code – Collar, Tie and Jacket
Time: 9.15am for 10am start – 4.30 finish
Education Points: 6
‘Finance for Non-Financial Managers’ aims to reduce skills gaps relating to commercial know-how. Our one day course will increase the commercial awareness of non-financial managers and improve understanding and interpretation of budgets and reports that all departments deal with on a regular basis.
Who is the course for?
‘Finance for Non-Financial Managers’ has been designed for business owners, departmental managers and senior directors whose role involves the interpretation of monthly performance reports and the development of operational action plans to meet business objectives.
What is the course about?
The objective of the ‘Finance for Non-Financial Managers’ is to develop commercial awareness and to facilitate delegates’ understanding of the key financial competences required to manage a business successfully, such as forecasting and cost control.
Structured into three main topic areas, the course includes:
Introduction to the P & L account
- The basic principles
- Explanation of financial terminology
- Business tactics to manage revenues and cost
- How to trade & make profit
- Calculation and interpretation of KPI’s
- Brief overview of the difference between CAPEX and operational spend
Introduction to the Balance Sheet
- Assets, liabilities and equity
- Managing working capital
- Profit, cash and investment
Introduction to the Cashflow
- Planning for cash requirements
- Controlling cash and other current assets
- Working capital forecasting
- Sources of funds to manage liquidity
- Simple KPI’s to measure performance
What will participants gain?
On completion of the course, delegates will be issued with a certificate of attendance. They will also be equipped with skills to be able to:
- Think, talk and act more commercially aware within the workplace
- Understand and interpret financial reports
- Calculate and analyse key financial figures
- Develop action plans based on financial performance
How is the course delivered?
‘Finance for Non-Financial Managers’ is a highly interactive course that is delivered through workshops, case studies and discussion. Delegates are encouraged to bring examples of their own internal reports.
The course content can be adapted to suit the needs of your individual organisation, using internal systems and accounts for discussion and analysis.
About Debra Adams
Debra Adams is the founder of the business, a leading practitioner in developing courses for improving financial know how and commercial acumen. She is the author of the highly acclaimed textbook ‘Strategic Management Accounting for the Hospitality, Tourism and Leisure Industries’ now available in 2nd edition.
She has been the Head of Professional Development at HOSPA for over 10 years and was awarded the HOSPA Paragon Award in 2014 for her commitment to financial and revenue management education.
Through our courses and events, we help our learners to gain an improved insight into:
* understanding basic accounting principles
* how to interpret and use financial information to improve profitability
* planning and forecasting
* improving costing and pricing
* revenue management and data analysis
* asset management and investment strategies
We aim to equip our learners so they are able to make better business decisions, have the ability to interpret information and above all, to develop more profitable and efficient businesses.
We do all of this by offering a range of open and bespoke training courses for businesses in the service sector. To support our learners we also offer support after training by providing access to a variety of resources online this consists of online tutor support, bite sized learning content, links to external resources and more.
Victory Services Club, 63-79 Seymour Street, W2 2HF
The Athenuem, 12-18 Church Alley, Liverpool L1 3DD